The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

8:00 AM

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: September 27, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pages: 464
Source: ARC provided by publisher

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong. 

My Thoughts:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is undoubtedly one of the most hyped books of the year... and ever since the unveiling of its gorgeous cover, it has become one of my own most anticipated. The premise of the novel has been very hush hush, wrapped in secrecy with the sole purpose of taunting readers to open its pages. I began reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer knowing only the vague details and it made my reading experience all the more enjoyable!

As the twists and turns build up, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer will leave you questioning everything you thought you knew. The developing romance between swoon-worthy Noah Shaw and Mara Dyer, while sweet to see unfold, was surprisingly not even the main highlight for me. It was the utter skill of Michelle Hodkin to weave an engrossing tale that left me constantly guessing what would happen next as she carefully left breadcrumbs for us to follow. And by the time I reached the final pages, I didn't think my eyes could grow any wider at the shocking discovery Mara had uncovered... or that the events would leave me so anxiously awaiting the second novel.

It can.

Mara and her family have recently moved to Miami, hoping to create a fresh start after the tragic accident that killed Mara's boyfriend and her friends. Her parents and brothers are completely supportive and would do anything to comfort Mara, but they're also still incredibly worried and protective because she hasn't been the same since that ill-fateful night. Mara is still reeling from the loss, trying to remember what had happened... and only knowing with growing suspicion there might be more to that night which her shattered memories are letting on. 

There is.

Michelle Hodkin has made an amazing debut with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer! Suspenseful and mysterious, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a brilliant psychological thriller that will leave you breathlessly turning the pages. I didn't think it could possibly live up to my high expectations but...

I was wrong.

Thanks so much to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing this review copy!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I think it's impossible for this novel to have a bad review. If such a thing exists, I've never seen it! I barely know what it's about it, but it sounds AMAZING! I'm dying to uncover the mystery and finally figure out what the heck is going on. And oh, I've heard such yummy things about this Noah Shaw! <3 Fantastic review, but I kind of hate you right now LOL. You're making the wait even more torturous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you loved it too! All the hush hush is bound to draw in more readers, and going in not knowing what to expect makes it all the more exciting!
    Was that ending not pure torture?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Molly! I just pre-ordered it! Now I will be dreaming about it every night until I get it!

    Im so glad it lived up to your expectations! I hope I love it too =)

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see you think it lives up to the hype, I've been wanting to read this for a long time, now I really can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to read this book! Great review. Im a new follower and email subscriber. Ashley over @ Book Labyrinth suggested your blog to me, and im so glad she did!

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were some events that came to light that were unpredictable which is always good when you can keep me guessing. However, I want to point out that I did wonder a couple of times about how one event/incident correlated to another. The ending was quite the shocker. I did not see that coming and yet I'm still trying to put all the pieces together to find out what was really real and what was not.

    ReplyDelete