Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

11:10 AM

Title: Bloodlines (Bloodlines #1)
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 23, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 432
Source: Bought

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
The first book in Richelle Mead's brand-new teen fiction series - set in the same world as Vampire Academy.

When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.

My Thoughts:
Without a doubt, Bloodlines has been one of my most anticipated reads of the year! I'm a fan-girl for the Vampire Academy series, so I've been anxiously counting down the days for the first novel in the new spin-off series! And once I picked up the novel, I refused to put the novel down for a moment... and even though I tried to pace myself, I simply devoured the book in one sitting! 

It can be dangerous to have such high expectations for a novel sometimes, but I didn't really have too many doubts because Richelle Mead hasn't let me down yet! Just when you thought you knew everything about the world of vampires she has created, she adds new twists and turns into the mix to keep everything fresh. I loved discovering more about the Alchemists in Bloodlines and their often tense relationship with vampires, whose existence they try to hide from the knowledge of humans. The Alchemists may be humans themselves, but there is definitely something still magical about them... and I can't wait to learn more in the second novel!

I was so happy to see the return of old characters in Bloodlines who were finally receiving a chance in the limelight. Sydney, Eddie, Jill and Adrian are the main stars in Bloodlines but there were definitely still other familiar faces which popped up, bringing a smile to my face. And there were also new characters introduced and villains who proved to be forces to be reckoned with... although I didn't have too much difficulty predicting who they were. I might have liked more action and romance in Bloodlines, but because it's the first novel in another long series, I'm perfectly satisfied with waiting awhile longer as Richelle Mead lays down the foundations to build up the plot more in the future.

Now that I've finished racing through Bloodlines, I'm back to the waiting game as I'm most definitely eagerly looking forward to The Golden Lily! With more drama, more romance, and more suspense coming along the way... Bloodlines is the beginning of something wondrously good.  

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I haven't read Bloodlines yet but I was a huge fan of Adrian so I'm excited to see where the new story goes, and learn more about the mysterious alchemists. I'm sure I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this yet either but I loved Vampire Academy so I'll have to pick this up too. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review hon! I cannot wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up a copy of this from the library and I cannot wait to start reading it. I've heard so many great things about it, great review! :)

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    My Follow Friday + Blog Hop!
    Tweet Me!
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked it too!!! Richelle Mead is such a master!!!!!! Cant wait for The Golden Lily =9
    greta review my dear =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it turned out great for you!!
    I'm not really a VA reader, so i sort of passed on Bloodlines, though maybe I need to reconsider!

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review!! I couldn't agree more, I absoultely loved this. Really excited to learn more about the Alchemists and oh gosh do I love Adrian! <3 Need The Golden Lily ASAP! Especially with that last line killer! And also, that other new person introduced at the end? I was totally hoping we'd see them again one day! Cannot wait to learn more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read this one, I'd love to learn more about the Alchemists! Also looking forward to more Adrian - glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so glad to see an amazing review for this one! I honestly cannot wait to read it! Fab thoughts...can't wait to see Adrian again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finally read all of VA and read Bloodlines too so I'm like you and waiting for The Golden Lily. Also I always loved Adrian in VA so happy that he's in the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this one has more of Adrian and yet I still haven't read it. *facepalm* I'll probably have to read it in chunks (when I get around to it) now that school is starting :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. i started reading this last year and i still couldn't finish it D:
    IDK, i love Adrian (heck, he's the utmost reason why i decided to read bloodlines) but ugh, Sydney. ugh.

    nonetheless, hopefully i will finish reading it before the sequel comes out!

    ReplyDelete