Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

8:00 AM

Title: Texas Gothic
Author: Rosemary Clement-Moore
Release Date: July 12, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 416
Source: Bought

Overall: 4.5 Stars

Summary:
Amy Goodnight's family is far from normal. She comes from a line of witches, but tries her best to stay far outside the family business. Her summer gig? Ranch-sitting for her aunt with her wacky but beautiful sister. Only the Goodnight Ranch is even less normal than it normally is. Bodies are being discovered, a ghost is on the prowl, and everywhere she turns, the hot neighbor cowboy is in her face.

My Thoughts:
I've always enjoyed reading Rosemary Clement-Moore's novels in the past... and there were no worries when I began reading Texas Gothic because I just knew it would deliver in the same way. In fact, the opening sequence already had a smile tugging on my face because it sure is memorable. And with such a fantastic initial impression of the events to come, I couldn't think of putting the book down for even a moment! Witches, a creepy ghost, and a hot-tempered handsome cowboy make an awesome combination in Rosemary Clement-Moore's latest novel!

Amy and Ben. Oh, you two... Both of them cracked me up so much! They didn't have instant feelings for each other, but there was no denying their chemistry, even if they refused to acknowledge it. In between their sarcastic bantering and arguing, there was definitely an underlying attraction for each other that was just ready to burst onto the surface. The moments were never boring when they were in the same scene together, that's for sure! But also, the romance wasn't everything in Texas Gothic either because there was still plenty of mystery and suspense too.

And somewhere in between writing a ghostly paranormal novel which swiftly carries you away to Texas with its wonderfully described setting, Rosemary Clement-Moore has also written a novel with a ton of heart. For years, Amy has tried to believe she's the only "normal" member of the Goodnight family, perfectly content to allow her older sister, Phin, be the one who uses her magical gifts. But as the novel progresses, we see Amy grow as a character as she comes to not only accept her family's lineage as witches... but also herself. She may be a bit quirky and quick to share her thoughts with a touch of sass (especially to a certain cowboy when he was infuriating her), but below the surface, she's still a teenage girl coming into her own skin.

If you're looking for a break from the many paranormal trilogies that leave you constantly waiting for their next installments, Texas Gothic may just prove to be the perfect choice to read next! It's charming with its Southern setting but also balances the mystery and intrigue aspects as well. I can't wait to see what Rosemary Clement-Moore will write next because she never fails to give us an entertaining novel!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I need to find time to read this because I know my library has it. Even before it came out I was dying to read it, but for some reason I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm glad that you liked it; it definitely sounds like a fun, intriguing book, and I love the sound of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book, but for some reason it's not in ANY bookstores. I'll have to place an order for it, I guess. But I'm a huge Rosemary Clement-Moore fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god! sounds really good! a lot of chemistry and amazing characters. I've had this bookin my to-read list for a super long while. I have to read it! THank you for the review. SO far I havent read much about this book and it is always good to see reviews about some great books that doesn't have much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won an ARC copy of this, and I have been debating as to whether or not I want to read it. After reading your review, I definitely think I might be reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley- I hope you enjoy it as well when you have a chance to read it! :)

    Anonymous- I had that same problem too! I had to order it from Chapters and shipped to my local location to pick up... so you may have to do something similar to that as well.

    Natalia- I haven't seen too many reviews for the novel either, which surprises me because it's such a great novel! I've liked her previous ones too.

    Nicci- Yay! I'm glad to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Texas Gothic is a perfect summer ghost story, complete with a refreshing voice and a captivating tale. I will certainly be picking up more of Clement-Moore's books!

    ReplyDelete