A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

8:00 AM

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Release Date: September 27, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 400
Source: ARC provided by publisher

Overall: 4 Stars

Summary:
On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past. 

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine. 

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies. 

My Thoughts:
When I began reading A Beautiful Dark, the first novel in a new trilogy, I had no idea what to really expect... but I quickly found myself immersed in the storyline. I was completely intrigued by the strange events that seemed to be occurring around Skye ever since celebrating her seventeenth birthday! The pacing of the novel wasn't too rushed, but Jocelyn Davies did a wonderful job adding in the suspense and mystery at just the right moments to always maintain my interest.

Skye is very much a normal teenage girl. She strives to do well in school and loves the rush that skiing always brings to her as she practically flies down the gorgeous Colorado mountains. But when she meets mischievous Asher and calm rule-follower Devin, two polar opposite cousins who've just moved to town... Skye feels like she's losing her way. These two handsome boys seem to know everything about her and everywhere she turns, they seem to follow. I found myself eagerly flipping though the pages, hoping to learn some answers about why these two were so interested in Skye!

I really liked the supporting characters in A Beautiful Dark too. Skye and her best friends, Dan and Cassie, had a fun group dynamic which left me smiling at their jokes and light banter. And poor Ian! He was another kind friend but Skye couldn't return reciprocate his feelings of something more, especially not with Asher and Devin in the picture. While Skye definitely found herself torn with her attraction for both of them, there was always an underlying distrust for the two because of their secrets. It may have built up the tension, but it kept the romance surprisingly more chaste than I might have assumed. It wasn't exactly like Skye was always flinging herself at either of them, which I'm glad!  

The ending was just plain evil though! Right when we're in the midst of the action and reaching the climax, it suddenly ends... and you're left gasping out loud and completely shocked. It was a major cliffhanger ending that took me completely by surprise! For a few moments after I finished the novel, I literally just stared at the blank pages afterwards, thinking words would magically appear... but that didn't happen, sadly.

If you enjoy reading paranormal novels with angelic twists, then I think you'll really enjoy reading A Beautiful Dark for sure! Just prepare yourself for the ending because it will leave you reeling and wishing for book two right away!

Thanks so much to HarperCollins Canada for providing this review copy!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. This one sounds really good! I'll definitely be picking this one up soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! I've been hearing so much about this hufe-cliffhanger ending. I'm both dreading it and ridiculously excited for it! *bites nails * Fantastic review, I'm so glad you loved this, it's making me that much more eager to get my hands on it. And to meet Asher and Devin! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a plot not unfamiliar to the YA genre and had no elements to set it apart from others who employed its use. Skye was slightly irritating in all her naive and impressionable glory. Devin and Asher made the book bearable. I can give props for the plot being unfurled in a way that kept me guessing about Devin and Asher's intentions until the very end. It was average, an okay read.

    ReplyDelete