Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

12:00 AM

Title: Catching Fire 
Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: September 1, 2009 (hardcover)
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 400
Source: Bought

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
*If you still haven't read The Hunger Games, this description and review may contain spoilers.*
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

The end is near guys! Just one more day until we can all get our hands on a much coveted copy of Mockingjay! In the meantime, here's my review of Catching Fire, the second novel in the series.

So you learned yesterday that I didn't read The Hunger Games right away... well, that certainly wasn't the case when Catching Fire hit shelves in store. There was no hesitation this time. As soon as I could, I quickly grabbed a copy and began reading. Right away, it pulled me in, leaving me on the edge as I read and flipped through pages to hurriedly continue to the next page.

The Hunger Games may be over and Katniss and Peeta may have somehow both won, but nothing has been settled. The Capital, or rather the government, is furious that they somehow both lived instead of one victor. Their defiance to the Capital has created unrest and sparked the beginnings of rebellion throughout Panem, something that would have been unspeakable before. President Snow personally comes to Katniss, threatening her that if she can't convince the public during the Victory Tour that her actions were only out of love for Peeta and not to start to some rebellion within, then her family will most likely be killed.

Katniss feels she has no options. She doesn't want to lose her family, but is submission the best option? Katniss may not realize it yet, but she is a symbol to those who are fighting for a better life- one that will never be granted by the Capital unless action is taken.

I love how these books are more than your usual YA novels- there's a message that Colllins is trying to say and bring awareness to. People have the right to speak their mind and shouldn't have to live their life in fear. Also, if you believe in something, don't give up and keep trying. There's so many themes to be found interspersed with the always eventful plot-line.

And we can't forget the romance! Team Peeta or Team Gale? I still don't know whose side to pick- both boys have their own merits and care about Katniss. How could Katniss ever choose? Peeta, the boy who stuck by her during the Games, or Gale, the friend who's always been there for her. Either way, I'm probably going to be heartbroken when we find out in Mockingjay!

You never know what to really expect in Catching Fire and each page holds something new. In fact, I didn't do something that I almost always do... I didn't read ahead. My interest was held from start to finish and by the ending, I was getting ready to scream, already dearly wishing that the last book was out already. When I finished reading the very last sentence of the novel, learning the shocking news that's revealed, I'm pretty sure I had a stupefied expression on my face!

**Out of curiousity, does changing the font to this one make this post any easier to read than my previous ones? Any less eye strain or no difference?**

You Might Also Like

0 comments