The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker

8:00 AM

Title: The Liar Society (Liar Society #1)
Author: Lisa & Laura Roecker
Release Date: March 15, 2011 (paperback)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 368
Source: Bought

Overall: 4 Stars

Summary:
Since when do the dead send emails?

Kate Lowry’s best friend Grace died a year ago. So when she gets an email from her, Kate’s more than a little confused.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)
Kate,
I’m here… sort of.
Find Cameron. He knows.
I shouldn’t be writing.
Don’t tell. They’ll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. She teams up with a couple of knights-in-(not-so)-shining armor—the dangerously hot bad boy, Liam, and her lovestruck neighbor, Seth. But at their elite private school, there are secrets so big people will do anything to protect them—even if it means getting rid of anyone trying to solve a murder... 

My Thoughts:
The Liar Society was an absolute fun novel to read filled with plenty of entertainment! Lisa and Laura Roecker have written a great debut novel together which will be sure to bring out your inner detective nature. I read the novel in one sitting, perfectly content to eagerly flip through the pages as I tried to unravel, along with Kate, the mystery of her best friend’s death a year ago.

Kate has always suspected there was more to Grace’s death but no one would ever believe her. A year later, a mysterious email drops into Kate’s inbox from Grace… and this time, Kate’s determined to finally learn the truth. I don’t know how you could possibly not like her as a main character! Despite the rough year she’s had, mourning for Grace and becoming ostracized by others at school, she’s still able to maintain an upbeat attitude most of the time with a touch of sarcasm that brings out a laugh. She’s also resourceful and independent, but not afraid to ask for help when she needs it.

The romance in the novel was cute and not too serious. Liam was handsome, charming and quite kind, despite the bad boy reputation we were told he had when we were first introduced to him. He’s a young man with secrets though, which left my mind buzzing– and suspicions high– to think he had something to do with Grace’s death. I’m glad Kate was smart enough to keep her guard up around him until she got the full story! And then there is Seth, Kate’s geeky friend and next-door neighbour, who played the part of the adorable sidekick with his obvious crush on Kate. He just made me smile whenever he was in a scene!

Witty and surprisingly light, The Liar Society is an easy choice for those looking for a great mystery to be solved along with suspense. You’ll be cheering for Kate from the very beginning to succeed and catch the culprits before it’s too late! I’m looking forward to see what will happen next in book two of the series, The Lies That Bind!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This book totally sounds like it has a Veronica Mars vibe going on and I love that show! I have a copy of this and so excited to dive in, it sounds fantastic. I'm loving all the characters and plot already, great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super fun which is exactly what I need right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book now!
    It sounds like it's a fun book, with a mystery too! :)

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly loved this book - it was Veronica Mars with a twist and, honestly, it was SO much fun! You captured the mood perfectly. Brilliant review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks like such a fun read. Also I didn't realize that this is part of a series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it when Seth appeared too and he actually ended up becoming my favourite character from the book. What a fun mystery novel; I'm looking forward to The Lies That Bind as well. Great review, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved Seth! So adorable. His conspiracy theories were hilarious.

    This was such a fun book. Like Melissa said above I loved the Veronica Mars connections. Just very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got this book in the mail the other day! So glad to hear you liked it, and that it wasn't what you expected. I'm actually not a fan of the cover, and I voted when they were asking for everyone's opinion between two covers on their website, but alas, a vote is a vote, and I did my part.

    ReplyDelete