Such A Rush by Jennifer Echols

8:00 AM

Title: Such A Rush
Author: Jennifer Echols
Release Date: July 10, 2012 (hardcover)
Publisher: MTV Books
Pages: 336
Source: Bought

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:  
A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers. 

When I was fourteen, I made a decision. If I was doomed to live in a trailer park next to an airport, I could complain about the smell of the jet fuel like my mom, I could drink myself to death over the noise like everybody else, or I could learn to fly. 

Heaven Beach, South Carolina, is anything but, if you live at the low-rent end of town. All her life, Leah Jones has been the grown-up in her family, while her mother moves from boyfriend to boyfriend, letting any available money slip out of her hands. At school, they may diss Leah as trash, but she’s the one who negotiates with the landlord when the rent’s not paid. At fourteen, she’s the one who gets a job at the nearby airstrip. 

But there’s one way Leah can escape reality. Saving every penny she can, she begs quiet Mr. Hall, who runs an aerial banner-advertising business at the airstrip and also offers flight lessons, to take her up just once. Leaving the trailer park far beneath her and swooping out over the sea is a rush greater than anything she’s ever experienced, and when Mr. Hall offers to give her cut-rate flight lessons, she feels ready to touch the sky. 

By the time she’s a high school senior, Leah has become a good enough pilot that Mr. Hall offers her a job flying a banner plane. It seems like a dream come true . . . but turns out to be just as fleeting as any dream. Mr. Hall dies suddenly, leaving everything he owned in the hands of his teenage sons: golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson. And they're determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business—until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers—and the consequences could be deadly. 

My Thoughts:
Jennifer Echols is one of my favourite YA contemporary authors and Such A Rush certainly didn't disappoint! The book was everything I hoped it would be and more. If you're looking for your latest romantic drama fix, Such A Rush is the perfect contemporary novel to choose next! 

With her mother always gone off with her latest boyfriends, Leah has lived a lonely life in various trailer parks across South Carolina over the years. Used to fending for herself, Leah's outlook on life has been toughened, making her wary of allowing anyone to ever get too close to her. At school, she's gained a reputation among the boys for being "easy", even if it's far from true, and all the girls hate her, with the exception of her best friend, Molly. However, even though she's afraid to voice it aloud, a part of Leah still believes Molly is only nice to her because she can be treated as a charity case.

Ever since Leah moved to Heaven Beach three years ago though, she was given hope for a better future thanks to Mr. Hall, the only father-figure she's ever really had. Leah's dream of one day becoming an airline pilot means the world to her and her passion for flying is certainly infectious! She's watched Mr. Hall's boys from afar whenever they came to Hall Aviation, but when Mr. Hall suddenly dies, Grayson unexpectedly decides to take over the family business. For reasons he refuses to say, Grayson blackmails Leah into flying for him and to date his twin brother, Alec.

It may seem like there's a love triangle, but there really isn't. Alec is charming and sweet, acting quite differently from his brother, but there's no question you'll be rooting for Grayson and Leah to be together from the start. Grayson is both infuriating and downright hot, with a magnetic personality and an energy that cannot be contained within the pages. There are times he'll make you swoon one moment and then want to throttle him the next, but I definitely fell hard for him in the end.

Such A Rush is one of Jennifer Echols's best novels to date and I'll absolutely be reading it again and again in the future! The chemistry between Grayson and Leah is off the charts, and there's a certain tension present that leaves you holding your breath and wondering what will happen next. If you still haven't read a book written by Jennifer Echols, then you're truly missing out!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Totally agreed, I loved this one!! Definitely my favourite of hers since Going Too Far (and I don't say that lightly, because while I like her books none of them have lived up to Going Too Far for me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same way! Going Too Far was the very first book I read by Jennifer Echols and since then, I may have enjoyed all her other books, but none of them have close to touching the amazingness that is Going Too Far... but Such A Rush really is on par with it, which just goes to show how much I loved it. :)

      Delete
  2. I've decided that I am going to the bookstore right now and I am going to BUY THIS BOOK! You've convinced me! I can't wait to read this!

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review, Liz! I have yet to read anything by Jennifer Echols but I've heard so many great things about her! And this sounds like an awesome book :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I really enjoyed Going Too Far, and I'm definitely grabbing a copy of Such a Rush as soon as possible.

    New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm one of those who hasn't read any Echols yet, but this one's definitely on my to-buy list! Grayson sounds like just the kind of guy I love in my YA. :) Great review!

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't put this book down! Jennifer Echols understands people and relationships... She makes you feel like part of the story.

    ReplyDelete