First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky

8:00 AM

Title: First Comes Love
Author: Katie Kacvinsky
Release Date: May 8, 2012 (hardcover)
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pages: 208
Source: Copy provided by publisher

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what’s next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.

What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.

But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they’re going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you’re sorry.  

My Thoughts:
For months and months, I have been patiently waiting for the right romantic contemporary novel to come along and take my breath away, and finally, I have found one. The summary for First Comes Love really does not serve the book any justice at all. Katie Kacvinsky has written an amazing novel that goes beyond merely watching an unlikely relationship unfold, giving a certain depth to the storyline and each of her characters in a way that made everything come alive.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored the romance aspects of the novel, but what I also enjoyed seeing just as much as the pair growing closer together was the way Dylan helped Gray's life change for the better. Ever since a family tragedy occurred almost a year ago, Gray has closed himself off from everyone, angry at fate and preferring to be a loner as he attends classes at his local community college in Arizona. Dylan was his exact opposite; she was free-spirited and fully embraced all the experiences life has to offer, a one-of-a-kind person you don't see very often. And immediately, she sees what no one else bothers to notice... that there is definitely more to Gray than meets the eye.

The switching perspectives of both Gray and Dylan in First Comes Love was perfectly executed, and I wouldn't have wanted the novel to be narrated in any other way. If you compare their thoughts, actions and opinions from the very beginning to the conclusion, you can see how they really developed as individuals throughout the course of the novel. As Gray and Dylan move beyond friendship into a relationship filled with much love for each other, you can't help but root for the couple to always be together... even if the future isn't always so certain.

Katie Kacvinsky's First Comes Love is a contemporary novel I'll be re-reading again and again in the future! If you enjoy character-driven novels with a healthy dose of romance on top, then I'm sure you'll be loving the book just as much I did too.

Thanks so much to Thomas Allen & Son for providing this review copy!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I have to say that I'm a little bit afraid of novels with switching perspectives - that's not easy to write and make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this book before but It sounds like its one to watch!
    I'm going to put it on my wishlist right away.
    Thanks for the lovely review and for putting t his book on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this book either, but now I really want to read it! Sounds like just the kind of book I love.
    Great review, Liz!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I'm really looking forward to reading it :) The cover put me off a little but it sounds like a story I'd enjoy!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have heard of this book before now. But now I really want to read it! Thanks for the review!

    Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Im so GONNA get this one! during summer Im always in a strong mood for contemporary reads!! kyaaaaaaaa! your review totally did it for me! this one sounds amazing! thnx for sharing my dear! amazing review ^.^

    ReplyDelete