Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

9:00 AM

Title: Cryer's Cross
Author: Lisa McMann
Release Date: February 8, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 240
Source: ARC received from publisher

Overall: 5 Stars

Summary:
The small town of Cryer's Cross is rocked by tragedy when an unassuming freshman disappears without a trace. Kendall Fletcher wasn't that friendly with the missing girl, but the angst wreaks havoc on her OCD-addled brain.

When a second student goes missing-someone close to Kendall's heart-the community is in an uproar. Caught in a downward spiral of fear and anxiety, Kendall's not sure she can hold it together. When she starts hearing the voices of the missing, calling out to her and pleading for help, she fears she's losing her grip on reality. But when she finds messages scratched in a desk at school-messages that could only be from the missing student who used to sit there-Kendall decides that crazy or not, she'd never forgive herself if she didn't act on her suspicions.

Something's not right in Cryer's Cross-and Kendall's about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.
 
 

My Thoughts: 
Ever since finishing Gone, the last book in McMann’s Wake trilogy, I’ve been eagerly anticipating her next novel… and let me tell you, Cryer’s Cross is well worth the wait. It was a creepy thriller of a novel that left me on edge the entire time I was reading and once I picked it up, there was no way I could simply put it back down.

When a freshman girl suddenly disappears in the small town of Cryer’s Cross, the whole town is shocked with the tragedy… but after unsuccessful search attempts, the girl is never found. Months later when the town has returned back to normal, Kendell Fletcher still can’t the girl out her mind- her OCD won’t allow her too. But when a boy close to her heart, Nico, also vanishes without a trace, Kendall’s not sure how much longer she can take it. The arrival of two new students, Marlena and Jacián, is enough to provide some sort of distraction from the grief but Kendall’s not ready to give up on Nico. And when she starts seeing messages on Nico’s school desk, messages that could have only been from him, she knows that something is definitely up. Because whatever’s happening in the town of Cryer’s Cross… it’s not over.

Once again, Lisa McMann’s signature writing style shines, making this a novel that definitely stands out. For those who’ve read her Wake trilogy, I’m sure you’ll know what I’m talking about. It’s third person narration done in a way that gives a lot of short sentences and sparing details… yet, it’s always somehow still enough. In fact, Cryer’s Cross kind of played out like a movie in my head- a quiet beginning as you become familiar with the town and characters, and then a build up that adds on the tension until you finally reach the exciting conclusion.

Kendall’s struggles with her OCD as she’s faced with the sudden disappearance of Nico will have your hearts reaching out to her. Her coping mechanisms help her to some degree but it can’t stem the anxiety and grief she constantly feels with Nico gone. And although she may have gotten off on the wrong foot with Jacián, her growing friendship and feelings for him, which she refuses to acknowledge, add another layer of guilt to the mix because she feels like she’s betraying Nico. It’s a lot for any girl to handle and you’ll admire the strength that Kendall shows especially when she needs it the most. By no means, the romance doesn’t take center stage in Cryer’s Cross but it’s definitely a component that further added to the novel.

I loved every aspect of this completely original storyline! It was so unpredictable and Lisa McMann does a fabulous job leaving you in the dark at all the right places so you’re always kept wondering just what’s going to happen next. And oh my goodness, the cover is absolutely perfect; after finishing the novel, I was even more creeped out by it and dare I say it even gave me shivers?

Creepy, mysterious and addictive, Cryer’s Cross is one of the most suspenseful novels I’ve ever read. The ending left my heart pounding and I was left contemplating the final events after I finished. Everyone should definitely check this novel out when it’s released on February 8!

Thanks again to Simon and Schuster Canada for sending me this review copy!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This one does sound really creepy and I love being left in the dark (when it's intentional) with nothing but my guesses as to what's going to happen. Really nice review, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. I'll have to add this to my to-read list. I love creepy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Lisa McMann but this book sounds really intriguing! Great review! I will have to put it on my TBR list. I'm sort of a big scaredy cat though, so it would probably be best if I didn't read this book at night... :oP

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound creepy. I haven't read any of Lisa McMann's other novels so Cryer's Cross will be my first.

    ReplyDelete