Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

9:00 AM


Title: Personal Demons 
Author: Lisa Desrochers 
Release Date: September 14, 2010 
Publisher: Tor Teen 
Pages: 368 
Source: Bought 

Overall: 4 Stars 

Summary:

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same... until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn't know is that Luc is on a mission. He's been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie's soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn't stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can't be far behind. And sure enough, it's not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie's soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay... for all of them.

My Thoughts:
Personal Demons is the first novel in a new trilogy featuring two very hot male leads and one teen girl caught in between as both Heaven and Hell each try to take her for their own. And you know what? I simply couldn't put this book down!

I really enjoyed how the novel was told in alternate points of view between Frannie and Luc- the story just wouldn't have been the same without it! We learn about Frannie's past and why she's so hesitant to open up to others, keeping her friends at arm's length, but we also see the other side of the coin too! Luc may work in Acquisitions for Hell, but we get a chance to see that he's really not quite the bad boy you would expect him to be. Plus, the bonus of being inside his head was that we got to see just how deep his feelings were for Frannie... swoon! Poor Gabe. He didn't stand a chance.

The only thing that really stopped me from falling completely in love with the novel was Frannie. Now, I don't mind love triangles and the one in Personal Demons is certainly a huge aspect in the novel, but I got annoyed with Frannie at times because of her indecisiveness to choose between Luc and Gabe. I won't be too hard on her though because if I were in her shoes, I don't think I would be able to choose either!

And don't get me wrong, I loved seeing the smoldering chemistry from the very beginning between Frannie and the boys, but at the same time, I would have liked to have seen more of a build up to the romance instead of Frannie falling for both boys as soon as she first sets her eyes on them. Frannie could have shown a little more resistance to their charm!

It seems like I only spoke of the romance in the novel, but that's because the love triangle did seem to take more center stage at times. Frannie has a special ability which both Heaven and Hell wish to have, but since it's not revealed right away, it only left me curious and eager to flip the pages to find out! And Luc is feeling awfully conflicted too- does he risk the wrath of the King of Hell who shows no mercy... or does he give in to his growing attraction to Frannie? I kept wondering how everything was going to work out!

Lisa Desrochers has left quite the mark with her impressive debut and I'm most certainly eagerly looking forward to book two, Original Sin, when it's released next July 2011. I can't wait to see what's in store for Frannie, Luc and Gabe next!  

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for going easy on my debut. I'm so glad you're looking forward to Original Sin! =)

    ReplyDelete