Switched by Amanda Hocking

8:00 AM

Title: Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
Author: Amanda Hocking
Release Date: January 3, 2012 (paperback)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 336
Source: Bought

Overall: 4.5 Stars

Summary:
When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She's not the person she's always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel - all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken... though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she'd ever admit. But it isn't long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth - and he's come to take her home.

Now Wendy's about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that's both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she's meant to become...

As a special gift to readers, this book contains a new, never-before-published bonus story, "The Vittra Attacks," set in the magical world of the Trylle.

My Thoughts:
Because I don't really read self-published novels, I wasn't all too familiar with the Trylle series until I heard they were going to be published by a traditional publisher. I sure am happy that I get the chance to read the novels now that they'll soon all be available in print! I had no idea what expectations I should have Switched, but as soon as I began reading, I completely lost myself in the storyline.

It really is easy to see why Amanda Hocking's Trylle series has been met with such enthusiasm and success along with strong online support. I don't think Switched necessarily offered anything particularly new to the supernatural genre... yet there's an addictive quality to the book that makes it so difficult to tear your eyes away from the pages for a single moment.

Wendy has always felt that she's not like other people, but with her protective older brother and loving aunt always taking care of her, she has never let that get to her. But when Finn Holmes informs Wendy that she's a changeling and that he's to return her to her rightful home, she can't deny the feeling in her heart that has always secretly known she's not human. Leaving everything behind to learn more about her newly discovered heritage, Wendy is suddenly thrust into a world that will test her strength and capabilities. You can't help admire Wendy's determination to stay true to herself while others try to make her change her ways...  

With a teenage girl discovering a destiny she could never have imagined and a touch of forbidden romance, Amanda Hocking has created an enchanting world that will captivate readers right away. A gathering storm brews beneath the surface of Trylle and you know it's just a matter of time before violence will spill, if not in this book... then further down the line. I am absolutely looking forward to reading the second novel in the trilogy, Torn, and seeing Wendy continue to grow into her potential!

I've also included the book trailer below because after I first watched it, it helped convince me that I just had to buy the book and read it!

 

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. *shuffles Switched closer to the top of her to-read pile*

    Great review, hon! I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to read it myself.

    geekgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I'm sure you'll be really enjoying it too! :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, read this one yesterday and I NEED Torn IMMEDIATELY!

      Delete
  2. I really need to head out and buy this one! Everyone talks about how amazing it is. Awesome review, I'm not one who heard of it until it became published either. I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea!! I hope you like the book just as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. mmm... I kind of got lost in the description, like I was reading it and I just kept loosing interest. LOL

    I guess is just not my thing, though your review does cast some interesting points so I'm gonna put it on the maybe pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just edited my review to add the book trailer! When I first read the plot description, it didn't particularly stand out too much from other supernatural books for me either... but after I watched the trailer, my interested was captured!

      Delete