Pull by Claire Wallis

10:00 AM

Title: Pull (Push #2)
Author: Claire Wallis
Release Date: November 6, 2014
Publisher: Spencerhill Associates
Pages: 269
Source: ARC provided by author

Overall: 4.5 Stars

Summary:
PULL is the continuation of Claire Wallis' sharp and shocking debut novel, PUSH. It is the second book in the series and is not intended to be a standalone.

"It is impossible for someone like me—someone with a sin-list capable of wrapping itself around the world—to find redemption. To be repaired."

David Calgaro has secrets, and the only woman he's ever loved is about to pay the ultimate price to protect them. He's spent a lifetime searching for purpose and control. And the only place he's managed to find them is in a single, perfect moment; a moment in which he has absolute control over someone else's life.

David is unredeemable, unfixable, unsalvageable. But Emma Searfoss has forced a tiny sliver of hope to penetrate his soul. Hope that, even though redemption is impossible, maybe life isn't. Maybe he isn't who he thought he was. Maybe he's meant to be more.

This is a new adult novel with mature content for readers 17 and up.
 

My Thoughts: 
After Claire Wallis' Push ended with a terrible cliffhanger, I couldn't wait to read what would happen next in the sequel. Emma and David are both messed up, broken individuals because of their pasts, but they find acceptance and forgiveness in each other. Pull may not be a psychological thriller this time around, but the novel is still far from being a conventional New Adult romance.

Pull is told through David's perspective, and we gain a greater understanding of the twisted way his mind works. He has always been such a fascinating character to me. The more I try to study David, the more I realize I won't ever really understand him. The justifications for his actions, especially concerning what he did to his ex-girlfriends, are so warped, yet logical in a creepy way.

Emma is the only woman who has ever given David the kind of control he craves. She proved her love for him when she willing jumped off a bridge so that David could save her, but now he's unsure if he can be redeemed for his past. He almost lost the woman he loves because the trauma from his mother's suicide as a child still haunts him, but now his future suddenly seems more hopeful with Emma in his life.

However, you can't forget that David is an anti-hero. With Emma, he can try to be a normal man, but it doesn't change that he's also a master of lies and manipulation. My feelings for him are so torn. How far can I excuse his actions? Can he really find redemption? What I really love is that Claire Wallis doesn't necessarily present a clear right or wrong answer. David and Emma will always be complicated as both individuals and as a couple.  

I never expected Claire Wallis to end Pull the way she did; the notion never even crossed my mind. I was caught totally unprepared for the conclusion, left in a state of shock, tears in my eyes, and unable to process what I just read. Claire Wallis' Pull is an unforgettable sequel, and brings Emma and David's story to an end. I would absolutely love to read more unique, dark New Adult series like this one.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This looks like a series I love! I'm on such an NA binge right now! :) haha

    ReplyDelete